Monday, January 16, 2012

More Midwestern Resources

Today I'm mainly aggregating, not creating!

* Writing in NEHGR's "Weekly Genealogist," Valerie Beaudreault calls attention to a new on-line index to the Wisconsin Medical Journal, 1903-2003. Also a work-in-progress, the Appleton, Wisconsin, public library obituary index for various years.

* Most issues 1899-2005 of the Indianapolis Recorder, an African-American newspaper, are now searchable on line thanks to IUPUI.

* Just one of the best genealogy records blog posts I've seen, about the records of the Chicago Lying-In Hospital, a must-see if you have non-wealthy Chicago ancestors.

* If you need microhistorical raw data on the Black Hawk War, the 40-year-old compilations compiled and edited by Ellen M. Whitney and published by the Illinois State Historical Library, The Black Hawk War 1831-1832, remain the gold standard. If you need a microhistorical narrative -- for instance, to track where an ancestor may have participated in this war -- I have been very impressed by Patrick J. Jung's The Black Hawk War of 1832 (Norman OK: University of Oklahoma Press, 2007). I have not read it through or purchased my own copy, but I have used it for research (I know, they should usually be the same thing, but not today). The worst thing I can say about it so far is that he cites like a historian (one footnote per paragraph, no matter how many sources were involved).

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Hello: I am wondering if in your Midwest research you have come across the Mount Mercy Sanitarium in Dyer, Indiana. My grandfather spent time there in 1946, in fact, died there in Dec. 1946. Since he lived in Indianapolis, I am unsure why he traveled there. He had heart disease and diabetes (causes of death). The family doesn't seem to remember exactly the situation. And searches online have not uncovered any sources for the hospital. Thanks.
Nancy Hurley
nhurley1010 at gmail dot com

Harold Henderson said...

Nancy, I've replied by email. For those with similar concerns, remember to check in case the facility was known by other names during its "lifetime." Also, many Indiana counties have county genealogists appointed by the state genealogy society who may be able to help suggest research directions in queries of this sort.