Monday, December 12, 2011

Revolutionary patriot William Berry in NEHGR/AAJ

William Berry declared for a Revolutionary War pension in 1832 and made a detailed will shortly before his death in Allegany County, New York, in 1839. A probate and many deeds among his descendants followed, all carefully preserved in the Belmont courthouse.

Together these documents provide enough information to identify his seven children, some of their spouses, and more than 30 grandchildren. The first half of my article laying out the evidence and reasoning has just been published in the American Ancestors Journal supplement #3 to the October 2011 issue of the New England Historical and Genealogical Register.

William was the great-grandfather of my mother-in-law Eloise's great-grandmother Sarah Mehitabel Humphrey Coleman Bliss. Eloise would always ask for any news of ancestors when we came to visit; I'm sorry I didn't get this done in time for her to see it in print.

3 comments:

Patti Hobbs said...

It's wonderful to have someone like that who wants to find what you've discovered about her family!

khushifairy said...

great job. :)

Plastic card printing
Transparent Business Cards

Shelley Bishop said...

Congratulations on your publication, Harold! My copy came this week and I just read it. I was impressed by the breadth of your research in such an early time period, and by how well-written and easily understandable your article is. I look forward to reading the second installment!